Freelancing jobs is one of the jobs that is reigning these days. It’s a job that requires much focus on the screen of a computer system. You can’t talk about freelancing jobs without first thinking about a computer system. As a matter of fact, if you don’t have a PC, then you are not considered to be a freelancer.
As good as this job is, do you know that one can end up having cataracts? Of course, countless people have undergone cataract surgery and are freelancers. Are you a freelancer? And you’ve been seeing some strange things showing signals in your eyes? I wouldn’t like to co0nclude that you have a cataract. But I can only tell you that your job as a freelancer can hasten your chance of doing a cataract treatment if care is not taken.
Mind you, the essence of this write-up is not to scare you but to point or direct you to things you need to know and how to prevent yourself from doing cataract surgery. There are countless freelancers in Sydney that has done cataract surgery. However, my duty here is to encourage those that have done the surgery to follow the instruction given to them by their doctors. Also, I am here to encourage other freelancers that are yet to discover what is wrong with their sight.
You might want to know the symptoms of cataracts. Of course, knowing it will help you to understand what is wrong with your sight. You know, as a freelancer, if you know the symptoms, then you will know the next step to take. It would be nice to start with the meaning of cataract and some of its symptoms.
What is a cataract?
A cataract is a thick, cloudy area that forms in the lens area of the eye. A cataract usually starts when proteins in the eye form clumps that prevent the lens from sending clear images to the retina. And once clear images have not been sent to the retina, then there’s a problem. Remember, the retina works by converting light through the lens into signals. Therefore, when the lens cannot send explicit images to the retina, the problem develops gradually. It will eventually interfere with one’s vision. Please note that cataracts don’t usually form simultaneously. It will start with one eye; it will gradually move to the other eye if it is not treated on time. If you have a cataract, there’s nothing to worry about. Research has shown that several people are battling cataracts in the world. Once you’ve been diagnosed with a cataract, you will need to undergo cataract surgery, and your site will be fully restored. Therefore, there’s no cause for alarm.
What is cataract surgery?
Cataract surgery is the method of removing the lens of your eye and replacing it with an artificial lens. Although, the replacement with an artificial lens does not occur in all cases. Initially, the lens in one’s eye is clear. But when one gets a cataract, the lens becomes cloudy, eventually affecting one’s vision. Therefore, cataract surgery needs to be carried out to restore the person’s sight to a normal state. Click here to read about the Reasons behind the increase of cataracts in the world.
Why freelancers might end up doing cataract surgery?
As a freelancer, you are prone to contact cataracts. And the only remedy to remove or eradicate it is cataract surgery. Close to 99% of freelancers’ jobs are done and carried out on their PC. The rays of light from a computer system can condemn the eye’s lens. And when the lens is doomed, there is a need to replace it with an artificial one. Therefore as a freelancer, here are the symptoms of cataract that you will start seeing after spending much time working on the system;
- Blurry vision: things begin to look cloudy or dim. You will find it hard to do some daily activities like reading and driving.
- Trouble seeing at night: It may later move to the essence that you will not be able to see clearly in the night. Some nighttime activities like driving become impossible.
- Seeing colours as faded: If you have a cataract, all colours become faded to you. At some point, you will not be able to tell the difference between colours again.
- Increased sensitivity to glare.
- Another symptom of cataracts is that you may be feeling that you need to change your glasses, that is if you’ve been using one.
Therefore, as a freelancer, the above-listed symptoms will likely show up if you’ve been working on the computer system. However, the journey doesn’t end there. “prevention is better than cure” also works for freelancers. How do I mean? There are things you can do as a freelancer to prevent cataracts.
How freelancers can prevent cataract
- Visit your eye doctor regularly: People can easily assume that all is well. But for you as a freelancer, you need to take some time off work to visit your eye doctor. The essence of doing this is to examine your eyes’ status practically. If there is any complication, they will quickly attend to it before escalating. Therefore, I will advise you to see an eye doctor once in two weeks.
- Use a transparent face shield: There is a face shield created explicitly for freelancers. Oh, so you’ve not heard about that? Of course, there are transparent shades that can prevent your eyes from the rays of light on the PC. If you don’t know this before, I think you need to research it. Would you please get one?
- Eat fruits and vegetables: AS a freelancer, eating fruits and vegetables will also reduce your chance of getting a cataract. Try and take some fruits like oranges, pineapples, apples etc.
You have a great profile and good positive reviews on freelancing platforms like Upwork, Fiver, etc., but the only way to keep on working is to ensure that you follow all the above-listed instructions. Remember, your eyes are so precious. Finally, please don’t hesitate to drop them in the comment box if you have any questions.